Thursday 13 August 2009

Irish Vacation 4 - Kilkenny

So, we are almost at the end of the school summer vacation and we are planning the last few weekend trips with the kids. It's not that it is difficult to find stuff to do around Dublin, but it is somewhat difficult to find something that interests the kids.

We were meant to go visit a farm, petting all the smelly animals and stepping in all kinds of pooh, but that didn't happen due to "Project Total Makeover" (see blog). For that reason, we decided to do a short trip to Kilkenny - only 1.5 hours drive each way, not bad.

This time, the dogs stayed in the house and Snowflake was in the kennel due to Angel's incident last weekend, and also to save some hard earned cash - which my wife spent on "Project Total Makeover".

The usual bags were packed with snacks, diapers, drinks, butt wipes, changing clothes, DVDs, and of course rain gear. Kids locked into their seats during take-off, wife with her cool shades in the passenger seat (my co-pilot), GPS enabled and of course the iPhone connected for music.

We left around 10ish (at least that was the plan), but didn't hit the N7 until 11.30ish. So, first stop would be Carlow to get lunch. You would remember, from previous blogs, that my son needs his food around 12.30 (+/- 4 minutes on either side) or we the parents will experience a new apocalypse in the car.

We spotted a nice traditional family restaurant outside Carlow and pulled in. Traditional Irish pub was what we were looking for, and which we got. My god, my son was liking his plate approx. 7 minutes after being served, and I was still cutting my meat - he sometimes scares me, with the amount and speed he eats. The food was fantastic and good value for money. Food for 4, incl. drinks, less than €50.

Off to Kilkenny, which is only 30-40 minutes drive from Carlow. You know you are in the countryside, when the smell of cow shit hits your nostrils like a shovel in the face. You are finding it hard to breathe, until you remember not to use your nose. Pretty dangerous if you are the driver, but I didn't pass out.

Upon arriving in Kilkenny, I had to wake up my wife. She managed to fall asleep 5km outside Kilkenny! The car was parked at the local Dunnes Store shopping centre and we made our way to the main street - after the entire family had to go to the toilets, as you have to with kids.

Kilkenny is a very nice little town. The streets are narrow and there are plenty of shops. It is so much nicer than Galway. It surprised me in a positive way. We spent the nice 3 hours in Kilkenny, seeing everything that could be seen while walking and headed back to Dunnes Store's toilets before leaving Kilkenny.

Before telling about the return trip, I need to tell a short story about my dad. He always had a short fuse, especially when driving with us kids. The slightest noise, kicking or argument and he would go off. He is adamant that it was because he couldn't concentrate. Once he even stopped the car, took my toy and flung it out the window, then he continued the journey.

I now know what he went through.

We had barely left Kilkenny, before my daughter started to scream. A small brown butterfly had invaded her personal space and was sitting looking at her on her window. I twisted my arm around and managed to kill the poor thing. My son was at the same time trying to pull his DVD cable out, to the frustration of my wife.

Then the DVD started to skip. My daughter didn't mind, but with the sound blaring into my ears, while skipping, made me twitch the left eye.

Then the evil twin, of the brown butterfly emerged. My daughter screamed again, "Dad, KILL IT!". The DVD still blazing (and skipping), and my son was starting to wind up too, as he was thirsty.
- the 2nd butterfly apparently died, just like that, by itself!

All this within 20 minutes of leaving Kilkenny.

I was so tempted to rip off the DVD player and throw it out the window, but the movie were "watching" was a rental. Would be pretty difficult to explain to the rental store. So, I pulled out the power instead, which my daughter did NOT appreciate.

My wife put on the kids' favorite music, and that calmed things down a bit. However, I could have a conversation with my wife, as the volume was at 50 (55 is max), but they like it she said!

We made it home in one piece again, and despite World War 7 in the car home, we had a very nice trip to Kilkenny.

No comments:

Post a Comment