Wednesday 1 July 2009

Dad, are we going on holidays?


The Celtic tiger has, if you haven't noticed, been stabbed, mugged, run over, shot and is therefore dead. Not trying to be morbid or anything, but it's a fact. The Irish economy is probably one of the worst economies in Europe (East and West), if not the worst in the Western world.
For years, most people in Ireland have had too much money and have spent it on traveling to exotic places, not only once a year, but perhaps multiple locations. I've been no different. Hey, why should we sit at home, when we can afford going to beautiful locations around the Globe, seeing sights you've only dreamed to see?

So, our kids have already, at the ages of 4 and 5, been on several long haul flights to Mexico, Dominican Republic, USA, Costa Rica and multiple locations in Europe.

The problem with this is not the fact the it might have cost you a lot of money, which was worth it, but the fact that you've spoiled your kids into thinking that we can go to these locations every year. I had to pay for this in full, when my 5 year old daughter asked me (with a smile on her face and a glimmer of hope in her eyes) when her summer school break started, "dad, can we go to Costa Rica again?"

There was no way of avoiding this question, so I simply told her that we couldn't afford it this year and that we would be traveling around Ireland instead. I just managed to extinguish the glimmer in her eyes and remove her smile, just with those simple words. My heart was in pain as my daughter's disappointment became more and more visible - to the point where a tear was building up in her left eye.

How do you explain to a 5 year old kid that you can't afford to go abroad this year, swimming with dolphins, sliding across the jungle on a wire, sailing on rivers, swimming in ocean + pool and have parties every night; not to mention all the fabulous food and ice-cream?

In fairness, my daughter understood our dilemma. I talked to her and explained that we need to save up money, so by going on holidays in Ireland, we could save up money to go on a nice trip next year. But, the important part is, she wanted to help us save money. She brought me her piggy bank and said we could save up together. Now, that made me so proud and emotional.

My little girl is growing up so fast.

So, during the summer of 2009, we will be traveling around Ireland to see some of the beautiful sights here and will blog about our adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment